Sunday, January 25, 2009

The KID in Me

This may be the very reason I'm sick now, but I've created this habit of taking my camera and tripod out on some of Chicago's coldest nights just to see what I come up with. Many nights, I feel scatterbrained-with no real focus. I'm at the whim of my environment. I'm left hoping to be inspired by something I see...something I appreciate on some level. Well this night, my attention was turned once again to the phenomenon of SNOW. Since moving to Chicago, I've had the opportunity to experience snow for the first time. Part of me can't help but to think what life would have been like to have grown up as a kid here. Don't get me wrong, I grew up in a great neighborhood. There must have been at least 11 kids that would all come out to play. But we never had snow like this. I went sledding with my daughter and wife the other day...HAD A BLAST! I took them out to an empty parking lot to do doughnuts in our jeep!! I just knew that would be loads of fun, until i looked back for Zora's high-five and approving smiles-only to be met with a little girl crouched in the corner of her seat crying, "Daddy, Stop!" I looked to my wife for reassurance that I wasn't trippin' when she let me know, "maybe you should drop us off, then come back and have my "man-moment". Oh well...maybe I was trippin'. But hey what can I say, The snow brings out the kid in me.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Greg, these photographs are breathtaking! What a great blog! I see these sites everyday and you give them a completely new life!

    I have to say as someone who grew up in Chicago, the snow brings out the kid in me too. I remember doing donuts in shopping mall parking lots with friends in high school, and going sledding with my little cousin. I used him as an excuse to go, but I was just as excited about sledding as he was, I'm sure.

    I'm smiling just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got some Chicagoans liking on your pics. If you can win the natives then, Good stuff. We did'nt do much sledding in ATL as you probly know. Are you a night person? It appears. I tried night shots once on a ledge in Tampa on a corner. I loved the results. It is funny how a photgrapher is interested n the mundane objects. jAbstract thinking. Those things are great to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. im with you. i could just imagine the scenery if you leave chicago and go to the more country parts of IL. weather is one of the few things in this world that i feel can naturally relax me. weather its rain, snow or fog...i guess im weird like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bee, you're spot on about Illinois. A few weeks ago I was driving through the state and went through this small farm town. It was completely flat and the fallow cornfields were interrupted by perfectly symmetrical roads that stretched for hundreds of yards. When you drive to those places, get out of your car and just stand in the open space, you feel this eerily humbling sensation. We are so minuscule in comparison to all of the beauty of this Earth. It's overwhelming. And important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You moved to Chicago? Anyway, I'm looking at the blog to catch up on your life and see these breathtaking photos of yours.

    ReplyDelete